With Golbon Destinations your time is spent discovering and delighting in an extraordinary place. Whether it’s one of Europe’s grand cities, or an exotic tropical hideaway, each carefully-selected location offers its own blend of sights, sensations and flavors. As you begin your experience, you quickly find that you are already in the company of not just industry peers, but friends.
Crete, Greece: A Feast for the Senses
“The mystery of Crete runs deep. Whoever sets foot on this island senses a mysterious force coursing warmly and beneficently through their veins, sensing their soul beginning to grow.” – Nikos Kazantzakis, Crete’s most celebrated author (of Zorba the Greek), in Report to Greco.
On the south side of the Aegean is an island that is mystical, warm and welcoming, pure and generous. Crete captures the spirit of Greece and enchants everyone who visits it. Heraklion, Rethymno, Chania, Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Ierapetra, Malia, Hersonisso: an island with numerous destinations and thousands of vibrant images. Crete captivates and seduces the senses with its impressive and majestic landscape, with its open-hearted and vivacious spirit, its rich history, its world-famous cuisine and its hospitable people. – from discovergreece.com
- Crete is located in the southern part of the Aegean Sea separating the Aegean from the Libyan Sea.
- Official Language: Greek; however English is widely spoken in tourist areas.
- Currency: Euro
- Population: Over 600,000
- The people of Crete are referred to as Cretans
- Area: 3206 square miles; 160 miles east to west; 37 miles across at its widest point
- Weather: Crete is the best year-round destination of any Greek Island. In May we should have warm, pleasant weather, yet still may encounter some overcast days. It should be perfect for sightseeing, and enjoying the history, wineries and culture!